Selecting an expert witness
It is important to be clear what your requirements are when selecting the appropriate expert. You should consider the following:
- Academic qualifications
- Membership of professional bodies
- Previous experience and relevant work as an expert witness
- Accreditation as an expert witness
- Geographic location
- Relevant training as an expert witness
- Additional skills such as languages
It is also important to check that an expert witness has proper professional indemnity insurance.
An expert can also be used in other capacities such as:
- Expert Determiner
- Neutral Evaluator
The charging rates of experts various widely.
The fees will be determined by a range of factors such as specialisation, experience and geographic location, you should always ask the expert to give you an estimate of the amount of time involved and the costs.