Members of The Academy include experts in many professions such as Accounting, Construction, Forensic Science, IT, Engineering, Medicine, Valuation and indeed most areas of expertise which are regularly heard in the Courts.
Academy practising individual members must go through a rigorous vetting procedure meaning that The Academy’s members are accredited rather than merely checked.
Individual membership is subdivided into three Grades according to knowledge and experience. All Practising Members will be qualified in their own profession or calling. The criteria for individual members can be seen below.
If you are not sure which grade of membership to apply for please complete and return our Pre-Application Questionnaire so we can advise you on your application.
Members have been rigorously vetted and accredited by The Academy on a number of key criteria including:
- Relevant qualifications in their primary profession. The Academy checks that the prospective member does indeed hold the appropriate qualifications for the expert witness work they are undertaking.
- Understanding of the role and duties of the expert.
- Before The Academy grants Membership as a practising expert it requires references by instructing lawyers and for full membership samples of previous reports.
Accordingly, it is not surprising that Members of The Academy are highly regarded by instructing solicitors and by the Courts for their professionalism and ability.
The Academy provides training programmes and regular seminars to ensure that members are always up-to-date with the latest changes through Continuous Professional Development and peer discussion of common problems.
As a professional body, The Academy has a duty to society and to its members to ensure that its standards are maintained. It does this by enforcing the recognised Code of Practice for experts on its members.
Types of Membership
Whilst the majority of TAE members are Expert Witnesses TAE actually has three types of Membership. They are:
- Practising – for Expert Witnesses
- Dispute Resolver – for ADR Professionals who are accredited by TAE, for example Mediators, Expert Determiners
- ‘Other’ – a range of options for users of Experts who want to be involved in the work of TAE