Experts who are data controllers will need to:
- put in place compliance procedures
- ensure hat any person or organisation they share data with is also GDPR compliant, and
- ensure that any person employed by them is aware of the new regulations.
Consequently, it would be wise for expert witnesses to:
- undertake a thorough review of how they manage data, and
- check the contracts and other arrangements they have in place with third parties with whom information is shared or by whom information is supplied.
A data processing/sharing agreement embodies this chain of control. Experts should not be surprised if they are now asked to enter into data processing/sharing agreements with law firms or other suppliers or controllers of data.