12:30 - 15:00
TAE's annual Lunch for members and guests.
The Chairman's Lunch is an opportunity to meet the TAE officers, the team, fellow members and their guests, Solicitors and members of the Bar.
Members are encouraged to bring personal guests.
Please remember, however, that we operate a 'first come - first served system' and numbers are limited.
Last year the Lunch sold out before Christmas so do book early to ensure your place.
As usual the lunch will be preceded by a seminar, the subject of which will be an update on the events of the previous year as they affect the Expert Witness world and the world of Alternative Dispute Resolution - “That was the year that was”.
Ticket includes a free seminar place for members
£72 inc VAT
|Member - Seminar only||£48 inc vat|
|Non-Member attending the Lunch||£36 inc vat|
|Non-member Seminar only||£60 inc vat|
The RAF Club
On 31 October 1918 the first Lord Cowdray made a gift to provide a permanent building to house the Royal Air Force Club; and by the middle of 1919 the buildings which make up the present Club were acquired.
The Piccadilly frontage was originally the Ladies Lyceum Club and was built in the 1800s, whilst the rear half, facing Old Park Lane, was stables. Between 1919 and 1921 extensive reconstruction took place, largely financed by Lord Cowdray.
On 17 December 1921 the Royal Flying Corps Club premises in Bruton Street, London W1, were formally closed.
Existing Members were invited to make use of the Stratford Club in Stratford Place, in conjunction with the bedrooms (but not the public rooms) of the new RAF Club.
On 2nd January 1922 the Club was fully opened to Members although it was not officially opened by HRH The Duke of York until 24th February 1922. On 12th March 1922 the Club was visited by Their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary. This association with the Royal Family continues to this day, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II being the Club's Patron.
The Club operated very successfully during the 1920s and 1930s with about 2,000 Members. With the outbreak of the Second World War Membership rose to approximately 4,000; a figure it maintained until the late 1950s.
However, by 1960 Membership had fallen to 3,000 - and with that came severe financial problems, in the then economic climate. A working party of serving RAF Officers was established and they designed a plan which substantially increased Membership during the 1960s.
After many previously unsuccessful attempts, the Club managed to acquire the Freehold of 128 Piccadilly and 6 Old Park Lane in 1985. Development and refurbishment has continued. In the 1980s the basement area was converted into the "Running Horse Tavern", named after the public house that stood on the site in the 18th century.